Thursday, February 16, 2012

Journal #5


Georgia O’Keeffe
Ram’s Head, Blue Morning Glory
Georgia O’Keeffe Museum


          The color in the art piece is all neutral but the flower to the right is bright blue. The form of the art work is showing dimension in the skull of a ram the form is shown by the shadows. The space is taken up by the bones and the flower. The texture of the bones looks very smooth even in the horns.
          The focal point of the artwork is the blue morning glory. I think that the painting is off balance because of the flower. I think that the proportion from the flower and the skull is a little off. From the look of the skull I think it would be very large in real life and morning glories are not very big flowers. The contrast is between the center of the flower and the blue. There is not a pattern in the painting but the movement from the painting starts at the flower and moves to the skull and the horns.
          I don’t think that there is really a meaning to the work; I think that she just wanted to paint the skull of a ram. The subject of the work is just bones of a ram head and a morning glory. I don’t think that the colors in this painting really represent anything but they are just the actual colors of the objects. No I don’t think that there is really a clear meaning or reason why she created it.
          My thoughts and feelings have not really changed from the beginning. I still think that the painting is kind of pretty but not my favorite. The thing I like best about the artwork is the flower and the thing I dislike the most is that the center of the flower is just a circle and I don’t like that. My overall impression of it is that it’s okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment